Monday, October 18, 2010

Young and Gaining?

I know a guy who is quite obsessed by stuff like this and he is only 13.  What to you think about it?
*********
I have mixed feelings about this. On a cross-cultural level, not all societies conceptualize adolescence the way that we do. In other words, a number of cultures lack a concept of "teenager" and instead have a classification of child/Adult.  Just so, a 13 year old would be considered an adult, and would be respected in terms of making his (or her) own decisions.  A reflection of this remains in the Bar Mitzvah, when a 13 year old declares to his community, “Today I am a man.”  Historically, this was a literal statement.  Other cultures traditionally had puberty ceremonies that recognized a boy had obtained the status of a man.
One of the fascinating changes (to me at least) we're starting to see is a major shift of age in the "Coming Out" process for being gay. Historically, the average age of Coming Out as gay was in the 20's, but in a 2001 study, it was found that the current average age of Coming Out is now 15.
See--it used to be that a guy transitioned to a gay identity from direct physical experience with a same-sex partner who initiated him. This is one reason why so many gay people strongly  identified with Vampire novels...the idea of stalking/cruising at night --the idea of "bringing over" the previously "normal" person into a new identity and community with the "dark gift.". The idea of exchange of body fluids...
But these days, younger folks will self-identify as gay while they are still Virgins. Their identity is not based on their behavior but on their formal intellectual recognition of their sexual orientation.  I have a friend who fell in love with a pre-operative male to female transsexual he met in Honolulu. I urged him to follow his heart (he identifies as straight) and he did--they've been together now for over 7 years...anyway, he told me that he was a “good Italian Catholic boy from New Jersey,” and he didn't keep secrets from his mother. So for Christmas, he flew out with Katherine to introduce her to his mother.
 Katherine is Asian-American and very "passable" as female. My friend said to his mother, "There's something I need to tell you about Katherine." He explained that she's a pre-op MTF transsexual.
You know what his mother said? "Oh, I know all about that--I saw it on Oprah."
And the point of this is that between the Internet, and Cable, not to mention primetime, a younger person can pick up all sorts of information, and become involved in issues of interest at a much younger age than ever before. So it makes sense we're seeing younger and younger kids identifying as Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual,  or coming to terms with their Gender Orientation. Just so, it's logical that they're going to get involved in gaining.  A few clicks on Youtube will uncover many young teens showing off their budding bellies and asking for encouragement and comments. 

I certainly have read remarks from "tons" of adult gainers who share how much they wished they would have been able to start expanding at a much earlier age, since they knew they wanted the weight from childhood.

Incidently, the drawback for this younger generation is that we're also seeing more and more kids kicked out of their homes by homophobic parents. The younger a kid is who Comes Out, the less likely he or she will have the financial independence to be able to survive if he's disowned by his parents.
In studies done in Seattle and in L.A., we're seeing a significant number of street kids who are homeless because their parents could not deal with their sexuality or gender issues. It makes me wonder how their parents are going to react to deliberate gaining. In a worse case scenario, I worry about such parents angrily attacking gaining sites like this one, accusing the site of “seducing children" over the internet into what their parents might consider a "harmful sexual perversion."
Many parents have blamed college/the armed services for “making” their children gay once they left home.  In other words, the parents perceived their kids as “normal” (i.e., straight) and then felt their experience outside of the home “converted” them.  In reality, the kids had known they were gay for a long time, but didn’t feel safe enough to Come Out to their family until they were no longer living with them.  College—or for some—the armed services—gave them an opportunity to interact with others of the GLBTQ community.  Their sexual orientation became “normalized” and this allowed them to finally Come Out to their own family.  Their outside experience didn’t “make” them Gay…but it allowed them to express that part of themselves.


On the other hand, we're seeing such an enormous increase in child and adolescent obesity in general, that it's more likely that the parents aren't going to notice that there's an erotic component for a lot of young chubbies...I look forward to seeing comments from actual gainers out there...encouraging an adult who is interested in gaining seems very different than an adult encouraging someone underage...which feels different than a 13 year old encouraging another 13 year old. As a therapist, I am very ethically concerned with what can be seen as potentially abusive...

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eagle, love your blog so far.

    Recently, I've been more active in trying to form more "real world" (IRL) Feederism/Gaining/Fat Admiration events. I co-organized the 1st DC and Baltimore FF meet up, starting to organize the 2nd, and working on the logistics for a "Stuff Pot Luck Party" (yep, you read correctly. Gonna be awesome).

    While I've been a FA and a Feedee since as early as 7, more accurately since Middle School, I haven't done any Fat Admiration or Feederism events with other similarly interested people. I think it's still so very taboo, I just couldn't. But also, I'm still quite young (22). The reality is, while I would love to gone to a meet up to meet other users from FantasyFeeder, 4 or 5 years ago, it just wasn't practical. There is an certain element of danger: Do I know these people? Can I trust them? Is it in a public place? etc.

    But more importantly, Feederism and Fat Admiration events and parties DO NOT EXIST. In the Gay Chubby Chasing and Bear communities, they are a lot more prevalent. I've heard they even have conventions and weekend parties. In the predominantly heterosexual Feederism Community, we really don't have anything similar.

    Which takes me to my next point. The reason why I have started to make these meet ups is not only for my own desire to meet other Feederists and FAs in real life, but to create safe spaces where we can talk and socialize. We need to make them, since they do not exist in any real form outside the odd party or dinner. A Feederism convention or Club would be phenomenal. Local chapters and occasional parties is more realistic. Yes, there are BBW clubs and the occasional FA meet up, but nothing for Feederists alone. I think it would substantially validate our community as more than just an online kink site to a place that promotes friendship, social justice, sexual and relationship freedom, and acceptance. Perhaps, something similar to the BDSM group called TNG-AZ for 18-39 year olds in Arizona. (http://www.tng-az.org/)They meet at least once a week in public spaces, balls, parties, demos etc. to explain and open up their lifestyle and desires, in a mutual effort to forge a community and connect with younger, more at risk kinksters.

    Sorry this is a bit long winded, but getting back to your original question, how do young Gainers open up to their families? How do they "Get Out of the Fridge"? Without real world support, in a manner much like real world meet ups, physical clubs, Gay Pride or even Day of Silence, it's impossible. Without a larger online presence, it's impractical. I know I couldn't tell my family in high school about my sexual preferences and orientation, and dare I say Queerness. I still can't, for very practical reasons. Would I have loved dating a Feeder in high school? You betcha! I did do considerable Stuffing, but it was completely on my own. I'm sure many young people in Middle and High School have similar problems. If only there was a site that was dedicated to young Gainers, in order to mentor them in this transition period. There was one actually, but it was shut down due to legal concerns.

    In the future, I would hope that we can become more organized and create a physical presence to support our straight and gay Gaining youth in way that is both ethical and supporting their needs. But I fear that day is very, very far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize for ot responding earlier--I don't have an "alert" to let me know comments have been made, and I'm not OCD oriented to the point I check out every aspect of the new blog, lol. Live and learn, I always say.

    Fantasyfeeder.com, which is a mix of (mostly) straight folks into this "kink" and is very gbltq friendly--is sponsoring a Halloween event (In England, so I won't make it this year)--Gay and Bi guys just celebrated their annual "Expansion" which was a social weekend held in Ft.Lauderdale. There is an annual Convergence, which is a conference for members of Girth and Mirth Clubs.

    What strikes me is how older (which almost always means more experienced (or if you wish, more "mileage") and often more financially secure folks will have more options than younger people. In doing my sex research on Inter-Racial Same-Sex Couples, I was also struck by how much of a difference there was in income between males and females, even if the females weren't "pink collar" (such as being a waitress, as opposed to being a physician).

    Where I'm going with this, it's not surprising to me a bunch of gay white men, many of whom are over 35, may have a lot of organizing options than a 22 year old female. This is also something a lot of young people of color discover over and over again...older white males frequently have options you don't.

    Another advantage of gays is what sociologists used to call "DINKs" which stands for "Double Income No Kids"--a male couple without children frequently have more cash at the end of the month than a heterosexual married couple with a few children. As a result, I'm not at all shocked gay men can pull off an Expansion or a Convergence without breaking a sweat.

    Here's a suggestion--there are a number of sex positive organizations who have been active in providing opportunities for people to explore their "kinks." I used to live in Seattle and was one of the early members of a group called WetSpot. This was formed by a group of people interested in not only supporting sex-positive attitudes, but even banded together and bought their own building so they could do parties and workshops without having a pissed off neighbor pounding on the door after midnight.

    They require interested potential members to go through a formal orientation, to make certain everyone fully understands being respectful, and if you don't comprehend "No means NO" you get banned.

    They provide regular training workshops--so you can learn formal Japanese Bondage (one I took to please the Swiss husband) or "Care and Feeding Of Your Slave." There are regular parties for men into leather, or women into Blood Sports, and you can imagine the variety.

    I mention this as a model of how some people have met the challenge of "How do you do this kink safely and cull out the ax-murderers?"

    This also juggles the "private" and "public" space problems, where you don't have to worry about meeting a total stranger in a McDonalds, let alone your home, and does the "safety in numbers" thing where like-minded people are there as a group to initiate new members.

    I don't know if WetSpot has ever done anything on feederism and fat stuff...I now live in Arizona, and haven't kept up contact.

    I would however, suggest you might contact them and ask if they are familiar with any other similar groups (there is a network of groups like this) and sniff out anything WetSpot or their sister groups might be doing of interest. I've also found many of these groups are happy to offer their support for additional kinks, once you approach them.

    Good luck and let me know if you find out more--

    Here's a link to the organization that sponsors WetSpot: http://www.sexpositiveculture.org/

    ReplyDelete